Match Report – Athboy Celtic V Oldcastle Utd

Athboy Celtic

Brady’s Seat men’s Division 2

Friday 17th May

Athboy Celtic 5

Oldcastle Utd 3

Thanks to Athboy Celtic match sponsor Alfie’s Bar & Venue. Please support local.

Athboy came out on top of an eight goal  thriller at the Convent grounds to claim all 3 points and continue their recent good form.

The hosts started the better of the two sides with forward Jack Kelly getting his name on the scoresheet after only 2 minutes! Kelly received the ball in the penalty area from Cian Quinn on the right, and showed great composure taking a couple of touches and converting with a low hard drive to the far post.

To Oldcastle’s credit, after 15 minutes they really brought the game to our lads and shocked them with two very well taken goals in the space of 5 minutes. Two relatively simple balls in the Oldcastle half over the top of the home defence led to Lee Healy latching onto both and chipping the ball over the Athboy shot stopper Paul Sheridan and into the back of the net. After the Athboy lads dealt with this, they went about getting back into the game by creating plenty of opportunities. Adrian Noone failed to convert from close range and Cian Quinn was denied by the woodwork when he seen two excellent shots come back of the post and crossbar.

Quinn was involved in the equaliser when his corner delivery to the far post was put back into the danger zone with a header from Jamie Boyne, and his centre back partner Kevin Kelly made no mistake with a downward header from 5 yards. The half ended two all and our lads knew they were going to have to match and better the desire of the Oldcastle team to come away with all three points. The first 15 minutes of this half was scrappy enough with no significant openings for either side but the lads in yellow and black regained the initiative on 62 minutes via Jack Kelly. Quinn had a shot blocked in the penalty area and the ball rebounded back out to Jack Kelly who watched it drop and volleyed into a gaping net from 12 yards.

The home side were quick to add to their advantage with two more goals before the 70 minute mark. Luke Byrne finished well following good play from Kelly and Adrian Noone unleashed an unstoppable drive into the top corner from 25 yards, after Eamon Cusack beat the last line of defence with a through ball to the number 9. Noone had worked very hard all evening and got the goal his efforts deserved.

Losing 5-2, it was always going to be an uphill task for Oldcastle to get anything out of the game but a C.J Healy free kick on 83 mins saw them reduce the deficit. Athboy were reduced to 10 men on 85 mins when Quinn received a second yellow for a late challenge. There were little in terms of goalmoth action after this and although it wasn’t pretty at times, our lads notched their third league win in a row.

Friday 24th May sees another home fixture in the Convent, 7.45pm KO versus Moneymore. Please come along to support the lads keep up their winning momentum.

Best of luck to Oldcastle for the season.

Athboy Celtic:

1.       Paul Sheridan, 2. Cillian Maguire, 3. Glenn Darcy, 4 Eamon Cusack, 5.Jamie Boyne, 6. Kevin Kelly, 7. Luke Byrne, 8. Cian Quinn, 9. Adrian Noone, 10. Jack Kelly 11. Jack Bird

Subs used: Cian Farrelly for Bird (45 mins), Adam Uzell for Cusack (81 mins).

This website uses cookies and asks your personal data to enhance your browsing experience.